Laser dentistry provides increased safety and comfort
One of the greatest advancements in modern medicine is the laser. Most people are aware of the benefits associated with medical lasers in other fields such as eye surgery, dermatology and general surgery, but may be unaware of the many benefits lasers provide in the field of dentistry. Apex Family and Cosmetic Dentistry is committed to bringing the latest and safest dental technology to Utah, and are proud to offer the benefits of the DEKA soft tissue dental laser to our Utah dental patients.
Our FDA approved dental lasers can be used to provide a level of accuracy, precision and predictability not previously available for a wide variety of treatment procedures and will provide our Utah dental patients several key benefits. Using the DEKA soft tissue dental laser during dental related surgical procedures helps reduce the risk of bleeding and controls swelling post-operatively, alleviating any potential discomfort. Using the laser often requires fewer or no stitches, generally eliminates the need for anesthesia, and minimizes damage to surrounding tissue. Because the high energy beam sterilizes the area worked on,the likelihood of infection is reduced post- operatively also.
Laser dentistry can be used for many dental procedures including:
- Gummy smile (smile design): Dental lasers can be used to reshape the gumline on patients to expose more of the tooth and improve the cosmetic appearance of a gummy smile.
- Cold sore or canker sore treatment: Cold sores and canker sores can be a painful thing to deal with. Traditionally, few treatments were effective to treat these uncomfortable sores. Medication is available to speed healing, and numbing gels can help with the discomfort, but now, if caught early enough, a quick and comfortable laser application can provide increased comfort and much quicker healing time. In many cases, the area treated will not develop a canker sore or cold sore later on.
- Gapped Teeth (Frenectomy): A small area of tissue, called a frenum, connects the lip to the gums and another connects the tongue to the bottom of the mouth. Sometimes these connective tissues are too restricting. A restrictive attachment from the upper lip to the gum can result in gapped front teeth. An attachment that is too restrictive on the underside of the tongue can be responsible for a variety of problems from babies unable to breast feed well, to speech impediments. Laser dentistry is an excellent solution for these problems as the patients are often young and laser frenectomy will be a more comfortable procedure, requiring no stitches or shots.
- Dental Implants and other oral surgeries: Most types of oral surgeries, including key parts of placing dental implants, can benefit from laser dentistry. Using the dental laser instead of a metal scalpel can reduce bleeding, swelling and discomfort. The laser can also sterilize areas affected to reduce incident of infection. These benefits combined can result in shorter and more comfortable healing time for patients.
- Gingivitis therapy: Gingivitis and periodontal disease are a leading cause of tooth loss, and it is estimated that 80% of the adult population has gum disease of some form. Our Utah dentists can use the DEKA laser to treat gingivitis and help improve the health and appearance of your gums.
- Tooth (Dentin) sensitivity: Tooth sensitivity is a common problem. Most adults and many children have experienced tooth sensitivity at some time or another. If you have teeth that are frequently or persistently sensitive, laser dentistry may help.
Click to Learn More: